Perils for Pedestrians
TV talk about people who walk
Episodes 131 to 140 of Perils for Pedestrians
All episodes are 28 minutes long. A new episode is released
Click on any photo for a larger image, a description, and the video.
Episode 140: California
- We visit the Embarcadero in San Francisco.
- We learn about the danger of freeway ramps.
- Sacramento Regional Transit celebrates an anniversary.
- We drop by the California Council of the Blind.
- We meet a bicycle advocate in Ottawa, Ontario,
- We talk with an urban planner about walkable neighborhoods
- We meet another bicycle advocate in Sacramento, California.
Episode 138: The ADA and Sidewalks
- We see how the Americans With Disabilities Act applies to sidewalks; Washington, DC.
- We travel to California to talk with a lawyer and a plaintiff from a key court case.
Episode 137: California
- We travel to the University of California - Davis to learn what makes people walk.
- We see how a walkability assessment can spark community action.
- We find out what surfaces work best for crutch and wheelchair users: Sacramento, CA.
Episode 136: California
- We visit the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District.
- We meet a bicycle lobbyist at the California state capitol.
- We talk with the president of the California Bicycle Coalition in Davis.
- Davis is the first League of American Bicyclists platinum level city.
- We learn about the Non-motorized Transportation Pilot Project in Marin County.
Episode 135: California
- We learn about Safe Routes to School programs; San Rafael, CA.
- We look at environmental health and walking; Berkeley, CA.
- Walkable environments can be part of quality disease prevention; Oakland, CA.
- We learn about Pedestrian Safety Action Plans; Davis, CA.
Episode 134: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- We talk with the head of Bike Pittsburgh.
- Then we learn about Friends of the Riverfront.
- Free Ride recycles abandoned bicycles.
- The Southwest Pennsylvania Commission looks at pedestrian issues.
- Students at Carnegie Mellon University examine the history of pedestrian crashes.
Episode 133: Ottawa, Ontario
- We visit Ottawa to learn about their new pedestrian plan.
- We examine the impact of neighborhood walkability on seniors.
- We look at traffic and sidewalks along Holland Avenue.
- Tinted windows are a growing problem for pedestrians
Episode 132: Canada
- We travel to Montreal to attend The 11th International Conference on Mobility and Transport for Elderly and Disabled Persons.
- We look at how Montreal is working in four sectors to create universal accessibility.
- We learn about Montreal's Transportation Plan and the Pedestrian Charter.
- We talk with Barry Wellar in Ottawa about his Walking Security Index.
- We travel to Mackinac, Michigan, for the Labor Day bridge walk.
- We talk with an advocate in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- We visit a neighborhood that needs sidewalks in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama, needs more crosswalks.
- We look at a dangerous intersection in Grand Island, Nebraska.
- We talk about closing the gaps in the East Coast Greenway.
- We look at the role of the pedestrian and bicycle professional.